Tennis has been played at Pyegrove since the 1930’s when three original trustees bought the land from Lord Howard’s estate and rented it out to the club. In 1951 the club bought the land and during the fifties and sixties the club thrived. Matches were played in the Ashton and District League and two members played for the County.
In the seventies the club experienced hard times. Maintenance became a problem and in the eighties the club was forced to close because of lack of funds. Members still played in the Tameside League and practised in Manor Park.
In the nineties the club managed to re-open by selling off some land and obtaining various grants so that a club house and four all weather courts could be constructed.
In 2009 the club was awarded grants of £20,000 and built a mini tennis court for children and a practice wall. These were officially opened by Andi Jones, a local marathon runner, in June 2009
For the last fifteen years the courts have been very well maintained and the club has been a successful asset to the community with a consistent membership of over 150 adults and juniors.
Glossop Pyegrove Tennis Club May 2014
Glossop Pyegrove Tennis Club is now a Company Limited by Guarantee. We are now required to register with HMRC as a Community Amateur Sports Club for tax purposes and in order to qualify we have had to up-date our Articles of Association. At a meeting on Friday 28th 2014 the up-dated Articles of Association were agreed and voted on. This means that all adult members of the tennis club are now members of the company and as such, agree to be liable for the sum of £1 should the company cease to exist.